Francesco Tristano Collaborates with Derrick May on New Transmat LP
'Surface Tension' will drop on November 25.
Surface Tension will drop on May’s imprint Transmat later this year, marking the first time the Detroit legend has worked extensively on a record in roughly two decades. The eight track effort is also a landmark for Luxembourgian pianist and composer Tristano, who describes it as his “most techno and synth-based project yet.”
The recordings were originally undertaken as a means of creating new music for Tristano’s p:anorig project (which debuted at this year’s Sónar festival), but quickly became their own entity. May steps in on four of the cuts, leaving three original solo works by Tristano, plus one rework of Ryuichi Sakamoto‘s classic “Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence.”
Surface Tension will hit stores on November 25. Stream “The Mentor” below.
01. Sakamoto “Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence” (Francesco Tristano Rework)
02. Francesco Tristano “The Mentor” (feat. Derrick May)
03. Francesco Tristano “Pacific FM”
04. Francesco Tristano “Infinite Rise” (feat. Derrick May)
05. Francesco Tristano “In Da Minor” (feat. Derrick May)
06. Francesco Tristano “Rocco’s Bounce”
07. Francesco Tristano “Xokolad”
08. Francesco Tristano “Esoteric Thing” (feat. Derrick May)