German Label Analog Africa Celebrates ’70s Northern Brazilian Music with 19-Track Compilation
'Jambú e Os Míticos Sons Da Amazônia' releases on June 21 across 2LP, CD, and digital formats via Analog Africa.
German label Analog Africa will release Jambú e Os Míticos Sons Da Amazônia, a various artist compilation of music recorded during the ’70s in the northern Brazilian city of Belém.
Belém, in the state of Pará, has long been a hotbed of culture and musical innovation. Enveloped by the Amazonian forest and overlooking the vastness of the Atlantic ocean, Belém consists of a diverse culture as vibrant and broad as the Amazon itself. Amerindians, Europeans, Africans, and the myriad combinations between these people would mingle and pioneer musical genres such as carimbó, samba-ee-cacete, siriá, bois-bumbás, and bambiá.
Jambú e Os Míticos Sons Da Amazônia features 19 tracks hand-selected by DJs, producers, and music archivists Samy Ben Redjeb and Carlos Xavier.
The music across the release began to gain footing across Brazilian borders in the ’70s with the advent of the Rauland Belém Som Ltd. company. The operation served as a radio station, recording studio, and music label with a deep roster of popular artists, allowing their music to thrive in recorded and marketed form.
Analog Africa adds: “The history of Jambú e Os Míticos Sons Da Amazônia is the history of an entire city in its full glory. With bustling nightclubs providing the best sound systems and erotic live shows, gossip about the whereabouts of legendary bands, singers turned into movie stars, supreme craftiness, and the creativity of a class of musicians that didn’t hesitate to take a gamble, Jambú is an exhilarating, cinematic ride into the beauty and heart of what makes Pará’s little corner of the Amazon tick.”
Jambú e Os Míticos Sons Da Amazônia releases on June 21 across 2LP, CD, and digital formats via Analog Africa. The CD version comes with a 44-page booklet, with the 2LP pressing containing a 24-page version of the same liner notes and photos.
Pre-order here, and stream A Misturada’s “Os Muiraquitãns” below.
01. (Introdução) “Rosvaldo Ja Chegou?”
02. Pinduca “Vamos Farrear”
03. Os Muiraquitãns “A Misturada”
04. Os Quentes de Terra Alta “Praia Do Algodoal”
05. Pinduca “Pai Xangô”
06. Janjão “Meu Barquinho”
07. Messias Holanda “O Galo Canta, O Macaco Assovia”
08. Vieira e Seu Conjunto “Lambada Da Baleia”
09. Verequete e O Conjunto Uirapurú “Mambo Assanhado”
10. O Conjunto De Orlando Pereira “Carimbó Para Yemanjá”
11. Pinduca “Coco Da Bahia”
12. Messias Holanda “Carimbó Da Pimenta”
13. Verequete e O Conjunto Uirapurú “Da Garrafa uma pinga”
14. O Conjunto De Orlando Pereira “Maruda”
15. Magalhães e Sua Guitarra “Xangô”
16. Vieira e Seu Conjunto “Melô Do Bode”
17. Grupo da Pesada “Võa Andorinha”
18. Grupo da Pesada “Lundun Da Yaya”
19. Mestre Cupijó e Seu Ritmo “Despedida”