The Lowdown – This Week’s XLR8R Top 10 with Burial, Kingdom, Huxley, and More
Throughout the week, a whole lot of material gets posted here on XLR8R. And while […]
Throughout the week, a whole lot of material gets posted here on XLR8R. And while we know—and love—that some hardcore readers will eagerly pour over every single news story, interview, podcast, video, and MP3 download that appears on the site, we also realize that for most people, it’s impossible to see everything, which means that some quality XLR8R content is likely to get missed in the hustle and bustle of everyone’s daily lives. In the interest of making it easier for everyone to catch up, every Friday we present The Lowdown, a weekly wrap-up of the top 10 tidbits from our site.
1. It’s not often that a track from our Downloads section nabs the top spot on The Lowdown, but it’s not every week that we can offer up a remix of Moby (pictured above). This week, the veteran artist allowed us to give away a rework of “The Perfect Life” by Toronto-based darkwave outfit TRUST as a free download.
2. Four Tet took over the Rinse FM airwaves for eight hours last weekend, and shared a previously unreleased collaboration with Burial, which quickly found its way online.
3. This week’s XLR8R podcast was delivered by garage-loving UK house producer Huxley.
4. It was a big week for the Downloads section of XLR8R, as we also shared this Slow Magic remix of Gold Panda’s “Brazil.”
5. Last week, XLR8R headed down to Mexico City for the 10th annual MUTEK.MX festival, and our review spelled out 12 reasons why this year’s edition was an unforgettable event.
6. Leftfield hip-hop veterans Dan the Automator and RJD2 have both resurfaced with new albums recently—the former as part of the Deltron 3030 project—so we decided that now would be a good time to get the two together for a conversation in the latest installment of our B2B series.
7. Next week, LA beatmaker Knxwledge will be releasing a new full-length, Kauliflowr, via Dublin’s All-City label. Ahead of that, we’ve been streaming the LP in full here on XLR8R.
8. Another quality album that surfaced online this week was Cosmic Machine: A Voyage Across French Cosmic & Electronic Avantgarde (1970-1980), a 20-track compilation of classic French electronic music. The record is streaming in full.
9. The second chapter of our four-part Innovators mix series went live this week, and came courtesy of LA producer and Fade to Mind bossman Kingdom.
10. FaltyDL has been busy in 2013, and elected to keep his activity level up by giving away a free EP of edits under the name Donna Chambray Loren.
An expanded version of the The Lowdown is also available via a weekly email newsletter. Those interested in an even more in-depth round-up of XLR8R content, including a complete listing of all the free downloads we’ve offered in the past seven days, should sign up by entering their email address below.
Subscribe to the XLR8R Lowdown