The Lowdown: This Week’s XLR8R Top 10 with Dusky, Caribou, Shlohmo, and More
Throughout the week, a whole lot of material gets posted here on XLR8R. And while […]
Throughout the week, a whole lot of material gets posted here on XLR8R. And while we know—and love—that some hardcore readers will eagerly pour over every single news story, interview, podcast, video, and MP3 download that appears on the site, we also realize that for most people, it’s impossible to see everything, which means that some quality XLR8R content is likely to get missed in the hustle and bustle of everyone’s daily lives. In the interest of making it easier for everyone to catch up, every Friday we present The Lowdown, a weekly wrap-up of the top 10 tidbits from our site.
1. The latest installment of our Artist Tips series found UK duo Dusky (pictured above) sharing some useful techniques for making precise, club-ready tracks.
2. On Monday, we kicked off the week with an in-depth feature detailing the resurgence of house and techno in Los Angeles’ electronic underground.
3. UK drum & bass veteran Fracture was at the helm of this week’s XLR8R podcast, which found him working bits of grime, hip-hop, and footwork into a jungle template.
4. Caribou shared an extended mix of his latest single, “Can’t Do Without You.”
5. Berlin-based, Canadian-born producer Mathew Johnson appeared in a new video, which took place in his enviable studio space and found him discussing synths, drum machines, and production techniques.
6. Pioneer debuted its new PLX-1000 turntable, which is being billed as the heir to the discontinued Technics SL-1200.
7. Shlohmo’s collaborative EP with R&B crooner Jeremih has been in the works for some time, but the duo ultimately elected to give away their joint effort as a free download.
8. Rising LA producer Sage Caswell put together a special ambient mix consisting of nothing but his own original productions.
9. Jamie xx filled in as the host of Benji B’s weekly BBC Radio 1 show this week, and invited John Talabot and James Blake to join him in the studio. The show is available to stream online.
10. Simian Mobile Disco shared a hypnotic new video for “Tangents,” the first official single from the pair’s upcoming new LP.
An expanded version of the The Lowdown is also available via a weekly email newsletter. Those interested in an even more in-depth round-up of XLR8R content should sign up by entering their email address below.
Subscribe to the XLR8R Lowdown