The Lowdown – This Week’s XLR8R Top 10 with Four Tet, Richie Hawtin, Madlib, and More
Throughout the week, a whole lot of material gets posted here on XLR8R. And while […]
Throughout the week, a whole lot of material gets posted here on XLR8R. And while we know—and love—that some hardcore readers will eagerly pour over every single news story, interview, podcast, video, and MP3 download that appears on the site, we also realize that for most people, it’s impossible to see everything, which means that some quality XLR8R content is likely to get missed in the hustle and bustle of everyone’s daily lives. In the interest of making it easier for everyone to catch up, every Friday we present The Lowdown, a weekly wrap-up of the top 10 tidbits from our site.
1. As he’s been doing a lot of in recent months, Four Tet (pictured above) gave away a free track through his Twitter account; this time, it was his remix of Justin Timberlake’s “Suit & Tie.”
2. Last week, XLR8R went to Ibiza and paid a visit to techno legend Richie Hawtin and his ENTER. club night on the so-called “White Island.” Our subsequent feature included an in-depth interview with Hawtin along with an overview of what we saw at the party.
3. This week’s contest offered readers the chance to score a pair of TMA-1 studio headphones from AIAIAI. Enter now before it’s too late.
4. In a tribute to Stones Throw stalwart Madlib, recent DFA signee Larry Gus has delivered an immense 54-track mix of his favorite beats made by the multi-talented Californian producer.
5. The latest XLR8R podcast featured an exclusive mix from diligent Toronto producer Kevin McPhee.
6. Apple announced the forthcoming release of Logic Pro X, the latest update to its flagship music-production software.
7. Rapidly rising UK producer Jon Hopkins revealed some extensive summer tour plans and also gave away a new remix.
8. Shadowy Manchester duo Akkord delivered a new mix and also unveiled the two producers’ true identities after more than a year of keeping that information under wraps.
9. XLR8R hosted an exclusive stream of DJ Hell’s new Kern mix on the Tresor label.
10. UK producer Mumdance offered up a video tutorial on how he uses the famed Roland TR-909 drum machine.
An expanded version of the The Lowdown is also available via a weekly email newsletter. Those interested in an even more in-depth round-up of XLR8R content, including a complete listing of all the free downloads we’ve offered in the past seven days, should sign up by entering their email address below.
Subscribe to the XLR8R Lowdown