The Lowdown: This Week’s XLR8R Top 10 with John Talabot, Modeselektor, Dekmantel, and More
Throughout the week, a whole lot of material gets posted here on XLR8R. And while […]
Throughout the week, a whole lot of material gets posted here on XLR8R. And while we know—and love—that some hardcore readers will eagerly pour over every single news story, interview, podcast, video, and MP3 download that appears on the site, we also realize that for most people, it’s impossible to see everything, which means that some quality XLR8R content is likely to get missed in the hustle and bustle of everyone’s daily lives. In the interest of making it easier for everyone to catch up, every Friday we present The Lowdown, a weekly wrap-up of the top 10 tidbits from our site.
1. Last weekend, XLR8R went to Amsterdam for the second annual Dekmantel festival (pictured above), and our official review documented how this year’s go-round was just as good, if not better, than the excellent first edition.
2. On a sadder note, it was reported that the autopsy of the late DJ Rashad confirmed that his death was caused by an accidental drug overdose.
3. The first installment of our new Ask the Experts series debuted this week, and featured Modeselektor answering readers’ production and studio questions.
4. The latest XLR8R podcast was an exclusive mix put together by Skull Disco alum and UK bass veteran Appleblim.
5. Barcelona’s John Talabot shared a recording of his set from this year’s Melt! festival, which found him taking things in a surprisingly techno direction.
6. The top tune in our Downloads section this week was a remix of Mr. Flash’s “Midnight Blue” by UK producer Jon Convex.
7. Fresh off the release of his new Kuang EP and with a new LP on the way, Lee Gamble debuted a stark new video for EP cut “Mimas Skank.”
8. Akai unveiled the the AMX and the AFX, two compact controllers designed for use with Serato DJ.
9. Ahead of the LP’s release next week, a stream of FKA Twigs’ LP1 was shared online.
10. Rising LA producer Aerial popped up in our Downloads section, offering the precise “Strut” as a free giveaway.
An expanded version of the The Lowdown is also available via a weekly email newsletter. Those interested in an even more in-depth round-up of XLR8R content should sign up by entering their email address below.
Subscribe to the XLR8R Lowdown