The Lowdown – This Week’s XLR8R Top 10 with Machinedrum, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, and More
Throughout the week, a whole lot of material gets posted here on XLR8R. And while […]
Throughout the week, a whole lot of material gets posted here on XLR8R. And while we know—and love—that some hardcore readers will eagerly pour over every single news story, interview, podcast, video, and MP3 download that appears on the site, we also realize that for most people, it’s impossible to see everything, which means that some quality XLR8R content is likely to get missed in the hustle and bustle of everyone’s daily lives. In the interest of making it easier for everyone to catch up, every Friday we present The Lowdown, a weekly wrap-up of the top 10 tidbits from our site.
1. The latest XLR8R podcast came courtesy of Huerco S. (pictured above), a Kansas-born producer who recently relocated to Brooklyn and also released his debut album, Colonial Patterns, this week.
2. With Machinedrum’s new Vapor City full-length finally seeing the light of day next week, excitement surrounding the album is at a fever pitch. Contributing to that fervor was the release of a new video for LP cut “Gunshotta.”
3. Videogame fanatics around the globe are still reveling in the recent release of GTA V, and it’s safe to say that a small sliver of their excitement stems from all of the music featured in the game’s virtual radio stations. One station is actually curated by none other than Flying Lotus, and its playlist includes “Crystals,” a brand-new track from Jersey beatmaker Clams Casino. The tune is available for free download.
4. Jon Hopkins’ Immunity LP has been one of 2013’s most celebrated electronic albums, and the praise kept coming this week when the UK producer unveiled a new video for an alternate version of album cut “Breathe This Air.”
5. This week’s contest offered XLR8R readers the chance to win a Minx M5 soundsystem from Cambridge Audio. Enter now before it’s too late.
6. UK duo Karenn announced an upcoming European tour, and sweetened the news by giving away WAV files of SHEWORKS001, the pair’s 2011 debut on its own Works the Long Nights imprint.
7. LA beatmaker Nosaj Thing quietly dropped a remix 12″ this week, and the record found Detroit stalwart Kyle Hall reworking the Toro Y Moi-featuring “Try.” The track is currently streaming online.
8. Urulu will soon be embarking upon a North American tour, and the LA producer elected to help spread the word by giving away “Shoe Laces,” a galloping house jam with rubbery pads, a nimble drum pattern, and fluctuating textures.
9. Our latest B2B feature found us chatting with UK producers Leon Vynehall and A1 Bassline, who discussed their collaborative Laszlo Dancehall project and the state of the Brighton music scene.
10. London producer EVM128 will soon be dropping a new EP, Make Me Feel, via the Somethinksoundslabel. Ahead of its release, the imprint elected to give away a Palace remix of the title track as a free download. They also sent along a stream of the entire six-track EP, so we went ahead and posted that too.
An expanded version of the The Lowdown is also available via a weekly email newsletter. Those interested in an even more in-depth round-up of XLR8R content, including a complete listing of all the free downloads we’ve offered in the past seven days, should sign up by entering their email address below.
Subscribe to the XLR8R Lowdown