The Lowdown – This Week’s XLR8R Top 10 with Matias Aguayo, Zomby, Richie Hawtin, and More
Throughout the week, a whole lot of material gets posted here on XLR8R. And while […]
Throughout the week, a whole lot of material gets posted here on XLR8R. And while we know—and love—that some hardcore readers will eagerly pour over every single news story, interview, podcast, video, and MP3 download that appears on the site, we also realize that for most people, it’s impossible to see everything, which means that some quality XLR8R content is likely to get missed in the hustle and bustle of everyone’s daily lives. In the interest of making it easier for everyone to catch up, every Friday we present The Lowdown, a weekly wrap-up of the top 10 tidbits from our site.
1. This week’s XLR8R podcast came courtesy of Berlin techno stalwart and long-running Berghain resident Marcel Dettmann (pictured above).
2. Fresh off the release of his new album, Matias Aguayo invited us to his production lair for the latest edition of From Studio to Stage, where he detailed his unique production methods and how he translates his music between the studio and live spheres.
3. Bristol beatmaker Addison Groove recently participated in FACT’s Against the Clock challenge; check the video that shows him building a beat in 10 minutes.
4. UK producer xxxy gave away a pair of free tunes via SoundCloud this week.
5. Following the recent release of his new LP, enigmatic producer Zomby has been in the news quite a bit, but his face-to-face interview with Pitchfork, which surfaced online this week, caused an especially large stir.
6. Richie Hawtin offered up a new mix of sorts for free download, the latest installment of his Fragments series.
7. The synth makers at Nord unveiled Beat 2 this week, an updated version of its drum-sequencing app for the iPad. Beat 2 is available for free download.
8. UK maestro Julio Bashmore revealed two bits of exciting news—a new single, “Duccy” (which is streaming online), and a forthcoming UK tour.
9. Prolific Brooklyn producer Brenmar continued his busy streak, sending along “Outta Sight!” for free download. The track is a collaboration with up-and-coming New Jersey act DJ Fade.
10. Also popular in our Downloads section this week was “92688,” a free offering from Leeds newcomer Viers.
An expanded version of the The Lowdown is also available via a weekly email newsletter. Those interested in an even more in-depth round-up of XLR8R content, including a complete listing of all the free downloads we’ve offered in the past seven days, should sign up by entering their email address below.
Subscribe to the XLR8R Lowdown