The Lowdown: This Week’s XLR8R Top 10 with Midland, Nina Kraviz, our Best of 2014, and More
Throughout the week, a whole lot of material gets posted here on XLR8R. And while […]
Throughout the week, a whole lot of material gets posted here on XLR8R. And while we know—and love—that some hardcore readers will eagerly pour over every single news story, interview, podcast, video, and MP3 download that appears on the site, we also realize that for most people, it’s impossible to see everything, which means that some quality XLR8R content is likely to get missed in the hustle and bustle of everyone’s daily lives. In the interest of making it easier for everyone to catch up, every Friday we present The Lowdown, a weekly wrap-up of the top 10 tidbits from our site.
1. Once again, our Best of 2014 series dominated the week, and the most popular installment was our list of the year’s 15 best releases.
2. Not surprisingly, the previous day’s Best of 2014 list, which began the releases countdown by cataloging our favorites from #30 to #16, also garnered a lot of attention.
3. Another Best of 2014 installment focused on our selections for the year’s best new artists.
4. After two weeks primarily focused on artists, tracks, and releases, our Best of 2014 series finally shined a light on the year’s top labels.
5. UK producer Midland elected to give away his highly sought-after bootleg remix of Boards of Canada’s “Olson.”
6. Spanish act Henry Saiz revealed plans for an upcoming EP and shared a stream of the title track.
7. Nina Kraviz (pictured above) posted a stream of “IMPRV,” a song from her newly launched ???? label’s inaugural release; the track is also set to appear on her forthcoming DJ-Kicks mix album.
8. Red Bull Music Academy posted the video of its lecture with UK selector/producer Floating Points, who was interviewed during the most recent Academy in Tokyo.
9. Scottish producer Lockahgave away an eight-track collection of bootleg remixes that included his dancefloor-ready versions of tracks from Oneohtrix Point Never, FaltyDL, Girl Unit, and others.
10. The latest edition of BBC Radio One’s long-running Essential Mix series was put together by the crew from Warp Records.
An expanded version of the The Lowdown is also available via a weekly email newsletter. Those interested in an even more in-depth round-up of XLR8R content should sign up by entering their email address below.
Subscribe to the XLR8R Lowdown