The Lowdown – This Week’s XLR8R Top 10 with Moby, Four Tet, Daedelus, and More
Throughout the week, a whole lot of material gets posted here on XLR8R. And while […]
Throughout the week, a whole lot of material gets posted here on XLR8R. And while we know—and love—that some hardcore readers will eagerly pour over every single news story, interview, podcast, video, and MP3 download that appears on the site, we also realize that for most people, it’s impossible to see everything, which means that some quality XLR8R content is likely to get missed in the hustle and bustle of everyone’s daily lives. In the interest of making it easier for everyone to catch up, every Friday we present The Lowdown, a weekly wrap-up of the top 10 tidbits from our site.
1. Our weekly contest was especially popular this week, as we teamed up with the Decibel Festival to give readers the chance to score an OP-1 synth (pictured above) from Teenage Engineering. Enter now before it’s too late.
2. The latest XLR8R podcast was delivered by hyperactive LA beatmaker Deadelus, who also issued a new LP this week via Anticon.
3. Rave legend Moby will soon be releasing a new album, and this week he passed along a remix of its latest single, “Another Perfect Life,” from fellow veteran Andrew Weatherall. The track is available for free download.
4. Lithuanian artist Few Nolder sent us his rework of James Blake’s “Limit to Your Love,” which proved to be quite popular in our Downloads section.
5. Busy UK producer Four Tet shared another tune from his forthcoming Beautiful Rewind LP, the linear “Parallel Jalebi.” Three days later, he gave away his Late Night Tales mix from 2004 for free; apparently, the record is currently being remastered and re-released without his input or consent, so Four Tet chose to simply give it away.
6. After months of keeping relatively quiet, SBTRKT re-emerged this week with a new song, the unpredictable and sparkly “IMO,” which he delivered with an accompanying video.
7. LA’s Shlohmo offered up a new production, his remix of “She” by UK soul singer Laura Mvula. The track is available for free download.
8. Ahead of the release of his much-anticipated new LP, Vapor City, Machinedrum announced plans for a lengthy world tour, which will take him around the globe throughout the rest of the year.
9. Last weekend, XLR8R headed to Vancouver for the annual New Forms festival, and our subsequent review outlined nine highlights (and one unexpected lowlight) of what we saw.
10. After releasing Live 9 back in March, Ableton followed it up this week with the program’s first update, Live 9.1.
An expanded version of the The Lowdown is also available via a weekly email newsletter. Those interested in an even more in-depth round-up of XLR8R content, including a complete listing of all the free downloads we’ve offered in the past seven days, should sign up by entering their email address below.
Subscribe to the XLR8R Lowdown