The Lowdown – This Week’s XLR8R Top 10 with Todd Terje, Shigeto, Moderat, and More
Throughout the week, a whole lot of material gets posted here on XLR8R. And while […]
Throughout the week, a whole lot of material gets posted here on XLR8R. And while we know—and love—that some hardcore readers will eagerly pour over every single news story, interview, podcast, video, and MP3 download that appears on the site, we also realize that for most people, it’s impossible to see everything, which means that some quality XLR8R content is likely to get missed in the hustle and bustle of everyone’s daily lives. In the interest of making it easier for everyone to catch up, every Friday we present The Lowdown, a weekly wrap-up of the top 10 tidbits from our site.
1. Our latest installment of From Studio to Stage found us visiting the Berlin studio of Moderat, who described the production methods behind the trio’s new LP, II, and detailed the process of translating the music to the live arena. As it happens, this week also saw the German outfit offering up a stream of the whole album online.
2. Four Tet has rather active as of late, and continued his busy streak by giving away another one of his remixes, this one for Canadian indie band Diana.
3. Norway’s Todd Terje was behind last week’s Essential Mix on BBC Radio 1, and the entire session has been made available to stream online.
4. This week’s XLR8R podcast featured an old-school house session put together by the Greco-Roman Soundsystem, the crew behind the Greco-Roman label.
5. Our readers were particularly excited about this week’s contest, which offered the chance to score a stylish pair of sunglasses from Shwood. Enter now before it’s too late.
6. The most popular tune from our Downloads section this week came courtesy of Druid Cloak, who passed along his own “Club Cosmos Bootleg” of Mount Kimbie’s “Slow.”
7. Ahead of his forthcoming new album, Detroit producer Shigeto took part in the latest chapter of the Carsick video series and performed “Detroit Part 1” while driving through the desert.
8. Hotflush boss Scuba posted the third installment of his After Hours mix series. The hour-long offering is available to stream and download.
9. UK producer Synkro is the subject of the newest episode of the Slices video series, during which he discusses the roots of his craft, details a bit of his creation process, and explains why walking his dog has helped his evolution as an artist.
10. British beatmaker Pedestrian elected to grace our Downloads section with an edit of “Kalakuta vs. Zombie,” an Afrobeat-flavored track he originally made in collaboration with Jasperdrum.
An expanded version of the The Lowdown is also available via a weekly email newsletter. Those interested in an even more in-depth round-up of XLR8R content, including a complete listing of all the free downloads we’ve offered in the past seven days, should sign up by entering their email address below.
Subscribe to the XLR8R Lowdown